This loaf is the perfect hybrid. It is carrot-cake-delicious and banana-bread-healthy. Studded with raisins, nuts and seeds, a slice of this carrot banana bread makes for a substantial breakfast or satiating snack.
Although there are quite a few mix ins, this quick bread batter comes together quickly. Grating carrots in the food processor is a great time saver. Most importantly, the key to any quick bread is mix the ingredients until they are just combined. Over mixing the batter will result in a tough loaf.
I sliced myself a piece the moment it was cool enough to come out of the pan. The bread was moist and pleasantly sweet from the golden raisins. The next day, I discovered the best way to enjoy a slice of this bread – heated in the toaster oven and slathered with some honey butter.
Carrot Banana Bread
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice
Prep time + Bake time: 15 min + 45 min
1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1 1/4 cup grated carrot (about 2 small)
1/3 cup golden raisins, tossed with a 1/2 tsp flour
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 8×4 loaf pan with cooking spray or butter.
2. Whisk together flours, oatmeal, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium mixing bowl.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the yogurt and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla, and whisk to mix well.
4. Add in a third of the dry ingredients at a time, alternating with half of the mashed banana, stirring each time until just combined. End with the dry ingredients, and be careful not to over mix.
5. Fold in the grated carrot, raisins and walnuts. Spoon batter into the greased loaf pan and sprinkle sunflower seeds over the top.
6. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan before removing the loaf to cool on a wire rack. Store tightly wrapped in foil.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-12247505-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);